Malicious Software Fights Dirty
The long-form and official name is “malicious software.” But these days, everybody knows it as malware. Whatever term you use, the reality is very harmful. Malware is simply not nice – nor are the cybercriminals who use it to launch their online attacks. A serious and persistent threat to us all these days, malware is used to steal and/or destroy your data. What’s worse, this sinister software also compromises the security and integrity of your hardware in the process. So why should you ever begin to let your guard down? Learn how to fight back now.
Tips + Tactics
- Install anti-virus and anti-malware software on all your computers and mobile devices – and pay close attention to any warnings you might receive
- Don’t click on unfamiliar links, and don’t visit unsavory or suspicious sites
- Be very wary of any unsolicited suspicious emails, which are often used to deliver malware attacks (via links and/or attachments)
- Be very wary of emails that instill fear – such as a “lawsuit, unpaid traffic ticket, unpaid invoice or the shutoff of services” – these emails are also aimed at getting you to click on links and/or attachments which are often used to deliver malware attacks
- Avoid file-sharing sites
- Don’t ever click on links in pop-ups
- Keep your security software, web browser, and operating systems all up-to-date
- Make sure your firewall is always on
- Turn all automatic updates on
- Backup all your data frequently (in case you do suffer from a malware attack)
Let’s Talk® More
We hope you’ve found this informative and helpful. All of us at Pacific Premier Bank remain devoted to safeguarding and ensuring your security while banking with us. We also welcome the opportunity to talk to you about meeting and exceeding any and all business and personal banking needs you may have.
Give us a call at 888.414.0515 and Let's Talk®.
Download Cybersecurity Guides
Cybersecurity at a Glance – A Brief Guide to Serious Security
Cybersecurity Matters – An In-Depth Look at Online Security